We are Here To Travel, a website dedicated to exploring big cities, gazing open-mouthed at beautiful natural landscapes, trying out the latest street food creations, visiting pop-up cafes and shops and discovering what’s hiding behind the next corner.
A Bit Longer
Here To Travel started as a fun, personal project of mine in 2007. I was heading to Switzerland for the first time on my first ever flight. I was travelling on my own.
It felt like a big deal, so I wanted to document it, mostly for my own benefit. If anyone else took an interest, that’d be great, but I didn’t care. I headed to Tumblr and set up a blog called Here To Geneva and diligently took notes, photos and audio recordings and uploaded them.
As I continued to upload photos from my trip, I realised people were taking an interest. A few months later, I headed to Paris and again, uploaded photos and notes from my trip. To my surprise, more and more people were reblogging and liking my stuff.
A few years and a few more trips later, I had amassed a following of 50,000 followers on Tumblr. I was stunned.
Nowadays, the website has a new name and a greater focus and ambition. I no longer travel on my own. My fiancée and travel companion, Jade, has helped me continue to grow the site and to explore new ways of bringing our travels to a wider audience.
From a fun, personal project to a burgeoning business. It’s funny what an adventurous spirit can bring about.
We aim to:
- encourage you to do something today you’ve never done before.
- invigorate your curiosity and unearth a passion for exploration and open-mindedness.
- help you to embrace the ‘try something new‘ mantra
It is our goal to:
- bring you news of the latest events, attractions and trends from around the world of food & travel.
- make suggestions on where to stay, what to see, what to do and what to eat and drink while you’re visiting the coolest cities and regions across all seven continents.
We endeavour to uphold the values of:
- ecology – travel should have minimal impact on nature & the environment
- respect – our travels shouldn’t be to the detriment of others
- honesty – we will always ensure we are honest in our storytelling
- frugality – we’ll help you see the world for as little of your hard-earned cash as possible
Individually and together, we’ve been to 34 countries… and counting
?? Australia • ?? Belgium • ?? Austria • ?? Czech Republic • ?? Denmark • ??????? England • ?? Estonia • ?? Finland • ?? France • ?? Germany • ?? Hong Kong • ?? Hungary • ?? Iceland • ?? India • ?? Ireland • ?? Italy • ?? Luxembourg • ?? Macau • ?? Malaysia • ?? New Zealand • ?? Poland • ?? Qatar • ?? Romania • ??????? Scotland • ?? Singapore • ?? Slovakia • ?? Slovenia • ?? Sweden • ?? Switzerland • ?? Spain • ?? Sri Lanka • ?? Uganda • ?? United States of America • ??????? Wales
Things We Like A Lot
Flea Markets • Hipster Hangouts • Cool Museums • Trying Something New • Tea • Boat Trips • Vegan/Vegetarian Food • Unique Experiences • Second Cities
Things We Don’t Like Much
Tourist Traps • Queue-Jumpers • Crowds of People • Chain Restaurants • Sun-bathing • Package Holidays • Clubbing